Racing Australia has introduced nationally consistent policies to address the following issues:
- Horses that have not started in a race for 12 months or longer - returning to training and racing;
- Horses that have experienced a cardiac arrhythmia after a race - returning to training and racing;
- Horses that have suffered a major fracture and/or undergone major orthopaedic surgery - mandatory reporting and returning to training and racing;
- Horses aged 12 years - pre- and post-race veterinary inspections; and
- Horses that have been retired from racing - reinstatement for training and racing.
New rules have been introduced to impose specific obligations regarding participants’ compliance with these new Codes, as follows:
- - New AR 88B in Part 5 - Eligibility of horses to race, Division 2 - Restrictions/ exclusions in relation to participation of horses in races etc for 1-3 above;
- - Amendments to AR 78 for 4 above; and
- - Amendments to AR 297 for 5 above.